Date: 4 Aug 2023
Location: Geraldton, WA, AU
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
The SKA Observatory is a next-generation radio astronomy facility that will revolutionise our understanding of the Universe and the laws of fundamental physics. Enabled by cutting-edge technology, it promises to have a major impact on society, in science and beyond.
In Australia, the SKA Observatory is collaborating with CSIRO to operate and support the construction of the low frequency telescope (SKA-Low) in remote Western Australia on Wajarri Yamaji Country.
The Traditional Owners and native title holders, the Wajarri Yamaji, have gifted CSIRO with the traditional name Inyarrimanha Ilgari Bundara for the CSIRO Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory, home to the SKA-Low telescope. The traditional name means ‘sharing sky and stars’ in the Wajarri language.
As a Field Technician for the SKA-Low team, you will assist in the construction, assembly, and basic integration of the world’s largest low-frequency radio telescope. You’ll gain valuable hands-on experience working on Radio Frequency (RF) systems, to add to your existing experience in RF systems, electronics or networking. This role is based in Geraldton, WA, with FIFO rotations at Inyarrimanha Illagari Bundara, CSIRO’s Murchison Radio Astronomy Observatory. The role requires good teamwork skills and a strong commitment to safety.
Your duties will include:
- Assist in constructing and assembling the station systems for the SKA-Low telescope.
- Support the team in basic integration tasks to ensure the seamless operation of the telescope.
- Assist in routine inspections, maintenance, and repairs on RF and electronic systems once operational.
- Work closely with senior technicians and contractors during the assembly, construction, and maintenance stages, ensuring adherence to the highest standards.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of RF system maintenance routines and safety protocols.
- Exhibit a strong commitment to health and safety, ensuring compliance with all safety protocols.
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: AU$68,148 – AU$86,733 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite – Full-Time, Part-Time or Job-Share
To be considered you will need:
- A Cert III in Engineering or Electronics, or equivalent technical training in RF systems, electronics or networking; or equivalent experience.
- Experience in the deployment, maintenance or troubleshooting of electronic systems or networks.
- Ability to understand system drawings, RF engineering drawings, and third-party operating and maintenance manuals.
- Commitment to safe work practices, environmental sustainability, equity, and diversity.
- Demonstrated experience of working in a small team, contributing constructively to an inclusive and high performing team culture.
- Some experience or training in using test and measurement instruments and their control software.
- Basic understanding of RF systems and measurements
- Some exposure to or training in handling fibre optic systems, including cable management, splicing, and testing.
- Experience deploying or maintaining equipment in remote environments.
CSIRO is an Equal Opportunity employer working hard to recruit world-class talent that represents the diversity across our society. As part of our commitment to equitable employment outcomes for under-represented groups, preference will be given to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women and people with a disability who meet the role criteria.
For Full details about this role, please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
CSIRO and the SKA Observatory value and respect difference, and we are committed to building an inclusive culture by creating an environment where you can balance a successful career with your commitments and interests outside of work. We believe that you will do your best at work if you have a work / life balance. We are open to discussing flexible working opportunities with this role being offered on a full-time, part-time or job share basis. Please raise your preference in your application.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please apply on-line providing your CV, and a Cover Letter clearly addressing the essential criteria of this role and your motivation for applying. Under CSIRO policy, only those who are able to demonstrate how they can meet the essential criteria may be appointed
Role will remain open until filled. CSIRO reserve the right to close the advert at any time during the advertising period. Shortlisting and Interviews can begin at any time during the advertising period.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.csiro.au.