Type of employment: Contract Senior position
Salary range: Undisclosed
Closing date: 24 March, 2021
About the Position
SARAO has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer in our RFI division with a focus on Software and Analysis. This position is responsible for ensuring the provision of appropriate software packages, and data processing and analysis functions, to support monitoring and control of RFI measurement systems, and analysis of the RFI environment using predicted models or acquired RFI measurement data. In particular this position will be responsible for:
- Leading the development of software for the RFI Management System, including: development and maintenance of RFI dashboards;
- Developing and implementing RFI Risk Analysis techniques and procedures; developing and implementing software backends used in controlling and logging RFI measurements developed and utilised by SARAO, and deployed at various SARAO and 3rd party locations.
- Leading the RFI team to ensure quality of developed software, including development of inhouse software standards for design, development and maintenance of the software.
- Ensuring the development of software tools and analytical techniques for RFI data processing and analyses, and various software pipelines and data archiving; Ensuring all developed software is under configuration control; and Mentorship of young professionals and interns.
- This position will be expected to work with both internal and external stakeholders, including the international SKA Office, where it concerns the techniques and analysis of the RFI environment.
- B. Sc / B. Eng/ BTech in either Electronic Engineering, or Science with a strong electronic engineering component.
Work experience required
- 7 years of professional working experience (including Post Graduate Qualification period) within a radio frequency / radar (incl. radio astronomy) including software development environment
The ideal candidate will have the following desirable additional education/ work experience/ personal attributes:
- Experience in Engineering software languages such as C , MATLAB and Python
- Software development methodologies such as Agile and Rational Rose
- Software repository tools such as Github
- Training of young engineers
Additional education in the following would be of significant benefit:
- Statistical data analysis and relevant methods and tools
- Radio frequency or related engineering
- System engineering
- Radio astronomy
- Computational physics and signal processing
- Digital hardware and software development
The incumbent shall have the following qualities:
- Be able to work within a development environment
- Be able to work within a multi-disciplinary team
- Be adaptable with good problem solving skills
- Be able to specify, design, develop and deploy highly specialised radio frequency measurement equipment and software
- Be able to develop customised software applications for the analysis of RFI measurement data
- Be able to understand and analyse RF measurement data from various commercial and well as in-house developed monitoring systems.
- Highly motivated and committed
- Thorough and meticulous
- Good communicator with good inter-personal, presentation and report writing skills.