Type of employment: Contract Intermediate position (6 positions)
Salary range: Undisclosed
Closing date: 31 March, 2021
About the Position
SARAO has vacancies for six (6) Senior Software Developers to join our Science Processing team. You will report to the Manager: Science Processing.
The main purpose of these roles are as follows:
The Senior Software Developers are part of a development team building the MeerKAT, MeerKAT Extension and the Square Kilometre (SKA) telescopes’ Science Data Processors. Senior software developers research, analyze and evaluate requirements for existing or new software applications and operating systems, and design, develop, test and maintain software solutions to meet these requirements. They may be expected to guide and work with more junior team members to accomplish their tasks.
Desirable additional educational, work experience, and personal qualities: Education and skills:
- A post-graduate degree or equivalent qualification in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering or related fields
- Demonstrated domain and technology knowledge, expertise, specialization or thought leadership in computing, systems design, architecture or implementation. This can be demonstrated through certification, higher research-focused qualifications, or record of delivery of dynamic solutions, organizing or leading contribution in the technology or innovation community
- Experience developing software and systems in Python, or other imperative languages
- Experience in systems analysis and engineering
- Experience working with formal project management and agile practices and methods
- Experience working with data processing or backend systems
- Knowledge, experience or specialization in implementing specialist technology and computing modules, e. g. security, networking, identity and access management, file management systems, large scale computing and storage, etc.
- Experience integrating and configuring various software technologies and infrastructure
- Experience in technology research, technology development and maturation towards production readiness
- Knowledge, experience or specialization in some computing concepts such as computing theory, data science, architecture, algorithms and patterns, parallel computing, computer systems optimization, etc.
- Ability to effectively transfer knowledge and skills to other team members
- Ability to mentor, guide and further develop junior team members
- A clear and methodical approach to problem solving
- A high attention to detail, excellent organization skills
- Good communication skills, written and verbal
- Eagerness to learn new things or self-development
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours. As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification.
Minimum Education and Work Experience Required:
- B. Eng. / B. Sc. / B. Tech. or higher in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or related field
- 7 years’ experience, in a combination of further (post-graduate) education and work experience.
The experience has to be in most of:
- Software analysis, design & engineering, acquisition and development
- Software testing, qualification, verification and architectural acceptance DevOps
- Infrastructure integration and operations
- Production and operations
- Technology research, design, engineering and implementation