Type of employment: Fixed Term Contract (2 Years) Closing date: 28 January 2021
About the Position
SARAO has an opportunity for a Telescope Maintenance Supervisor to join our team based in Carnarvon, Northern Cape. The Telescope Maintenance Supervisor shall be responsible for supervising, monitoring, planning and controlling the maintenance and operations of the HERA telescope.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating, scheduling and maintaining the HERA telescope and associated systems.
- Performing routine inspections on antennas systems and implementing predictive/preventative maintenance techniques.
- Maintaining the configuration status of the HERA system/s on site.
- Fulfilling a line management function for the HERA maintenance assistants.
- Drafting technical specifications for the purposes of procuring the necessary items needed for the operations and maintenance of the HERA telescope.
- Drafting maintenance and operations procedures in conjunction with the HERA project engineer.
- Health and Safety compliance on site â€“ implementing the recommendations, policies and procedures from the SHEQ department to ensure a safe working environment.
- Performing the necessary surveys, measurement and inspections needed/requested by collaborators.
- NQF level 4 qualification in engineering
- South African code 10 drivers license PDP
- 5 years’ experience in a maintenance/construction supervisory role.
- Computer literate (Software and systems used in radio astronomy such as GIT, Trello, Slack, Ms Office, Google Sheets, etc. )
- Computer literate working knowledge of the software and systems used in radio astronomy such as GIT, Trello, Slack.
- Basic knowledge of power and fibre networks.
- Knowledge of labour regulations.
- Knowledge of construction regulations.
- Good problem solving ability, able to analyse a problem and suggest possible corrective measures, implement those changes and rework if necessary.
- Attention to detail when working with complex electronic systems.
- Versatility â€“ the ability to switch between technically different tasks effectively.
- Must be well- organized and have the ability to prioritize tasks.