Big Data Africa Summer School 2017
Cape Town, 2 – 12 April 2017
With practical data science applications to Astronomy and Bioinformatics.
The Big Data Africa Summer School aims to introduce fundamental data science tools and techniques to talented young science graduates across a range of disciplines, who have an interest to develop their skills and knowledge in working efficiently on extremely large datasets in any research environment.
All selected students are expected to work on a practical computational project in one of the themed areas of Astronomy or Bioinformatics before and during the school with their results to be presented to a panel at closing of the school.
Deadline: 31 January 2017
Download the brochure
Who can apply
Only South African students and/or students from the eight SKA Africa Partner countries living in SA will be considered – Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia;
Students currently in the Final Year of their BSc Undergraduate / Honours degree in Astronomy / Astrophysics / Bioinformatics / Computational Biology / Computer Science / Computer Engineering / Physics / Applied Mathematics;
Students currently in the Final Year of their BEng degree in Computer / Electronic / SoGware / Industrial Engineering
Intermediate to advanced programming skills will be advantageous to the applicants.
How to apply
Submit the following documents as a SINGLE PDF file to apply:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae – demonstrating your computing skills and abilities;
- Certified South African ID document, or valid passport and visa for applications from non South Africans;
- Certified university transcripts;
- Certified copy of degree(s);
- One page maximum motivation for why you should be selected to participate in the school;
- One reference letter from a university lecturer or thesis/project supervisor motivating why you should be selected for the school – must be included in your single application pdf document.
Email – email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: 31 January 2017
Please note: Only successful applications will be contacted after the deadline. Incomplete applications will be automatically disqualified without notification. No late applications will be considered.
Last Updated on January 17, 2017