The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory invites supervisors to submit Project Proposals for Postgraduate Research for 2020, in one or more of the following areas:
Topics exploiting data projected to be available by 2020-21 from key existing radio astronomy instruments located in South Africa ( MeerKAT, HERA, C-BASS, early versions of HIRAX, and HartRAO facilities -including astrometry and geodesy applications). Amongst these, MeerKAT is the highest priority area.
- Radio astronomy antennas and receiver systems (including digitisation) associated with supported and hosted instruments.
- Real-time digital signal processing instrumentation for radio astronomy, specifically using FPGA and GPU platforms.
- Hardware and data analysis systems for detecting, monitoring and identifying Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), including the use of telescope data (e.g. using MeerKAT visibilities to locate RFI sources).
- Hardware, software and data analytic systems associated with the control and monitoring of radio telescopes.
- Instrumentation and data analysis systems to support geodesy undertaken by SARAO.
Apply online at https://skagrants.nrf.ac.za
Closing date for proposals: 23 September 2019